The bill is against the Triple Talaq, also known as talaq-e-biddah, which is Instant Divorce. It’s been used by Muslims and is a form of Islamic Divorce. It allows any Muslim man to legally divorce his wife by the stating the word Talaq three times verbally, written or more recently in electronic form also. Many have questioned about its integrity, and how it’s violating basic fundamental rights of the individual, they have also raised issues of Justice, gender equality, and human rights.
- Now, this issue has involved the Government of India and the Supreme court of India and is also connected to the debate about Article 44-uniform Civil Code in India.
- The Indian Supreme Court deemed instant Triple Talaq unconstitutional on August 22, 2017.
- On April 22, the supreme court struck down the validity of instant triple Talaq by a majority of three is to two(3:2).
- Five judges from five different communities were appointed-a Hindu, a Sikh, a Christian, a Zoroastrian and a Muslim-led by Chief Justice of India-JS Khehar.
- The five Judges, namely, UU Lalit, Justices Kurien Joseph, RF Nariman, Abdul Nazeer. Out of five, two Judges Justice Nariman and Justice Lalit set it aside and term the law as unconstitutional.
- On May 18, Chief Justice JS Khehar had reserved its verdict after hearing the case from May 11.
- Recently on Tuesday that is July 30, the supreme court set aside the practice of instant triple Talaq saying it’s the violation of Article 14(Equality before Law) and Article 21(Protection of Life and Personal Liberty) of the Indian Constitution.
- Now, even after receiving opposition from NDA(National Democratic Alliance), the government managed to get the Muslim Women the bill, which is the protection of Rights on Marriage Bill, most commonly known as Triple Talaq Bill passed in the Rajya Sabha. The bill is already passed by Lok Sabha will soon become an Act after President Ramnath Kovin’s Nod.